Saturday, August 6, 2011

{the story with not yet a title} part three

(see part one and part two - previous posts)

The younger girls scrambled up the steps while Stella and Jill sat on the grass. "Ahh, it's hot out here." Jill said. "I wasn't expecting it to be quite this bad. It's quite a bit cooler back in Missouri." she said. "Missouri?" Stella asked. "Yeah, we just moved here." Jill answered. "Oh, I didn't know. I figured y'all already lived in the area." Stella said. "Oh, no. We've lived in Missouri since I was two years old." Jill answered. "Oh okay. So you liked it in Missouri?" Stella asked. "Oh yeah. My friends are there and my ballet studio." Jill said. "You do ballet?" Stella asked. "Yes. I started when I was ten and loved it ever since. I'm going to have to find a new studio here." she said. "That's really cool." Stella said. "I like to write. I've written a small book and I'm currently working on another." she said. "Really? Would you mind if I read it?" Jill asked smiling. "No one has read it before. But you could read it and tell me what you think." she said. "Yeah!" "Well, why don't we go get it now so I don't forget." Stella suggested. "Alright." Jill said standing up. They walked to the house, and went up stairs to Stella's bedroom. "I don't quite remember where I put it." she said digging through her desk drawers. "I see your an Elvis Presley fan." Jill said admiring the many Elvis posters that decorated her walls. "Oh yes." Stella said with a laugh. "I am too. I mean, I don't have posters of him on my walls, but he does have some pretty great music." Jill said. "You can say that again." Stella said turning to smile. "Oh here it is. I don't remember sticking it there. Well, here you go. I hope you like it. But if you don't, I want to know." she said handing Jill a worn paper folder. "Thanks. I'll bring it back when I'm finished and I'll let you know what I think. I'm sure it'll be great." she said smiling. "Alright. Would you like something to drink? That heat is just hard on you." Stella said leaving the bedroom, Jill following. Stella poured them both a cold glass of Coca-Cola, and brought it to their sun room, a small room by the stairs. "So, what was your home like in Missouri?" Stella asked after taking a long drink. "Well, we lived in a neighborhood. A fairly small, three bedroom house. It was kinda tight for us all. It was great when it was only Frances and I when we were little but not after Essie and Don were born." Jill said. "My Dad was laid off from his job and he searched for almost two weeks for a new one. During that time my Mom had to take a temporary job leaving me at home with everyone. Dad soon discovered that there was nothing there for him. Between that, and our cramped house in a tight and crowded neighborhood, my parents decided to move to south Texas." she said ending with a smile. "Wow. Are you sad about the move?" Stella asked her. "Well leaving everything behind is sad of course, but I'm kind of looking forward to starting over. And I'm certainly not going to miss that small house and tiny yard." Jill replied. Stella smiled. They continued to talk about various things while sipping their Coca-Cola. "Stella?" Mrs. Wicks called. She came around the corner to see the two on the couch. "Oh. Jill, your parents are ready to leave." she said smiling. "Alright, we're coming." Jill replied leaving the couch. "Has it really been an hour already?" Stella asked surprised, after looking at her cellphone. They went to the front porch where everyone had already gathered. "Thank you Stella, you've already made me feel so welcome to this big, sun baked town." Jill said smiling. Stella watched as the Duncan's drove away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments make a day even better.